Tuesday, 9 December 2008

Santa is coming!

And he's a 22 year old Scotsman living in Japan. I think, looking at my photo's, that I must have been one of the skinniest Santa's ever and I'm not particularly skinny (thank you for that Japan). I'll get photo's up as soon as I transfer them to my laptop which shouldn't be too long, I'd imagine.

So yesterday went like this:
6AM: Woke up, washed and didn't have breakfast because I had my yearly health check
7AM: Rocked into school an hour early for the health check so I was first in line
7.30AM: Health check started with the usual weight, height, eye test etc.
7.45AM: Was sent outside to a line of 3 buses.
7.47AM: Lung's were x-rayed. Everything cool
7.50AM: Heart checked. Everything cool.
7.55AM: Stomach checked. NOT COOL.

The stomach check involved me drinking some form of white liquid which I was told was valium, but from what I know of medicine (which isn't that much to be fair) valium is an anti-depressent, no? I had to take a little vial of white crystals followed by water before being led through to the machine where I took my 'valium'. I was then put on the machine and told to roll this way and that while getting turned upside down. It was not fun. At all. My stomach felt what, I assume, it feels like to have an oversized baby rolling about and kicking everywhere. They then provided me with a laxative to flush my system of the crap they had put in. Back to my schedule.

8.30AM: My team-teaching class was cancelled because of the aforesaid baby rolling about in my stomach. It felt like I was going to puke every five minutes
10AM: Feeling a little bit healthier I headed to Fujita Kindergarten to play Santa Claus for the masses. Find out that I'm not needed til 10.45 or so. Time for Japanese study.
10.15AM: Japanese study is interrupted by screaming baby and mother who come into the kindergarten office so as to not bother the Christmas show going on in the hall.
10.40AM: Santa starts getting himself dressed. Beard, eyebrows and mustache appear as if by magic. I am now an old man. The red suit, hat and boots quickly follow. I attempt a couple of bassy "Ho ho ho's" to get into character.
10.45AM: The bells are ringing, Rudolph is shining and Santa arrives to the shock and amazement of 89 little kids. Over the next half hour much "Ho ho ho"ing and "Merry Christmas"ing ensue as Santa gives out presents to all the kids. This santa is not a judgemental santa. Kid's who fed their cats with normal cat food get the same as kids who fed their mother's prize fish to the cats.
11.15AM: Santa waves goodbye to his crowd. As he is leaving the stomach starts rumbling. The laxative has started to kick in.
11.25AM: A rapid change of clothes and drive back to my apartment is quickly followed by the contents of my stomach being emptied. Joy to the world, I'm feeling healthy again!
Then the rest of the day passed normally.

Santa photo's to follow...

No comments: